Screening for minimum qualifications
On the day of the Civil Service Exam, we will conduct the following:
- A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position of police officer. You are not expected to know police rules, regulations or procedures, but rather reason and think like a police officer. The test structure consists of 160 multiple choice questions drawing general reading comprehension, spelling, grammar and memorization.
- 1.5 mile run (15:26) for all applicants who pass the written exam
- 300 meter run within 62 seconds
- 26 push-ups with no time limit
- 32 sit-ups within 60 seconds
Testing to be conducted later:
- Panel interview
- Character/background investigation including photography and finger printing
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological evaluation
- Drug testing
- Medical examination
Applicants who are not certified as Texas peace officers are required to complete the Grand Prairie Police Academy. Upon successful completion, police recruits will be assigned to the patrol division for 17 weeks of field training.
The Grand Prairie Police Department has three full-time personnel officers assigned to the recruiting and background investigation functions.
They are responsible for recruiting qualified candidates for the positions of Police Officer, Detention Officer and Emergency 911 Dispatchers. This mission is achieved by attending career fairs, community events, military bases and college campuses.
The personnel officer guides the Police Officer candidate through each step of the testing process – from the initial written exam, to the final interview with the Chief of Police. During the selection process the personnel officer will be the most important person in the department to the applicant. The personnel officer will set appointments for review boards, psychological testing, polygraph examination, medical examination, and conduct the extensive background investigation into the applicants past.
The personnel officer is fair but thorough, making sure that only the most qualified men and women are commissioned as Grand Prairie Police Officers.