The Auto Theft Unit performs VTR-68-A (VIN Inspections) free of charge for Grand Prairie residents only (with proof of address; no businesses). No commercial vehicles/trailers of any kind will be inspected.
A VTR-68-A is required for the following transactions:
- A vehicle is missing the VIN plate
- Assembled vehicles
- Homemade or shop-made trailers
- An application for a bonded title on an out of state vehicle that does not have a Texas record
- Vehicles imported from another country
- Any other transaction as specifically requested by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
These inspections occur on the Tuesday before the second Wednesday (Grand Prairie Automobile Impound Auction Day) of every month from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
The VIN inspections take place at Grand Prairie Auto Pound located at 3010 Hardrock Road. No appointment is necessary, but you must sign in at the Auto Pound Office first.
For additional info, please call the VIN Inspection Information Line at 972-237-8701 (automated message).