As of March 20, 2020, Detention/Jail visitations have been canceled for the next 30 days in an abundance of caution regarding gatherings to slow spread of COVID-19 virus.
The Grand Prairie Police Department Detention Center is part of the Investigative Services Bureau. The facility has the capacity to house 210 inmates. The detention center consists of five cell blocks, four temporary holding blocks and two special management cells. There are also six separate cells for short term housing of juvenile offenders. There is currently one Detention Manager, four Detention Supervisors, eight Detention Team Leads and six part-time and 28 full-time Detention Officers assigned to the center.
Jail Frequently Asked Questions
In person: Contact detention staff in the detention lobby, 1525 Arkansas Ln. Grand Prairie TX 75052
Telephone: 972-237-8947 or 972-237-8951
- The Dallas County Jail is located at 111 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75207
View Dallas County Jail Website
- The Tarrant County Jail is located at 100 N. Lamar St., Fort Worth, TX 76196
View Tarrant County Jail Website
- The Ellis County Jail is located at 300 S Jackson St., Waxahachie, TX 75165
View Ellis County Jail Website
- The Johnson County Jail is located at 1800 Ridgemar, Cleburne, TX 76031
View Johnson County Jail Website
This is an administrative process documenting a prisoner's entrance into the Detention Center. The process includes collecting information such as the person's name, address, reason for the arrest (criminal charge(s)), medical and mental health screening, inventorying personal property, taking photographs and fingerprints, classifying the prisoner to a cell and having the detention supervisor review each prisoner’s record to make sure all parts of the processes have been completed and are accurate.
An arraignment is a formal meeting between a judge and a prisoner. The judge informs the prisoner of his or her charge(s), reads the prisoner his or her rights, and advises the prisoner of the bond amount or fine amount. The prisoner may also request and attorney if he or she chooses to do so.
Arraignments are generally held daily, between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., but can occur at alternate times to accommodate magistrate schedules. Arraignments are closed proceedings.
The City of Grand Prairie assigns a monetary value for time spent in the detention center for a City of Grand Prairie Class C misdemeanor ticket or warrant. A municipal judge determines credit as regulated by state law. Typically, prisoners receive $100 for every 24 hours spent in jail.
No, credit only applies to City of Grand Prairie Class C misdemeanors where a plea of guilty or no contest has been entered.
Visitation generally occurs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday but is subject to cancellation, without notice, by the Detention Supervisor. Visitation requirements are:
- Visitation is limited to 10-15 minutes with a maximum of 2 people allowed per inmate.
- Visitors must be appropriately dressed, be at least 17 years of age, present a driver's license or state issued identification card and have no outstanding arrest warrants.
- Children under the age of 17 may not visit an inmate and children must not be left unattended in the Detention Center Lobby or in a vehicle while a parent or adult visits an inmate.
- All visitors may be searched prior to entering the visitation room. Visitors are encouraged to call 972-237-8951 to verify visitation approval.
To schedule an online visitation please create an account follow these steps:
Personal items of convenience and money may not be added to the prisoner's property. Prisoner prescription medication will be accepted and dispensed in the prescribed manner. Medication must have the prisoner’s name on the bottle and the prescription instructions must be clear and legible. Medication in the bottle must be the same as listed on the prescription bottle. We will not accept expired medications.
Prisoner property can only be released after the prisoner grants written permission authorizing the release. To claim prisoner property it is necessary to:
- Complete a property release form
- Present a driver's license or a state issued identification card
- Obtain the detention supervisor’s approval
- Individual items may not be released unless proof of ownership may be shown. The only exception to this is keys.
Prisoners are allowed to place a free telephone call during the booking process, and may make unlimited collect telephone calls once that process has been completed. A prisoner also has the opportunity to make collect phone calls from inside a cell block. Family members may purchase prepaid phone cards at a kiosk in the detention center lobby and deliver them to the Bond Desk.
Friends and family may also set up an Advance Connect prepaid account or Direct Bill account online at http://www.securustech.net/ or by calling 1-800-844-6591.
This is a warrant where "no plea" or "not guilty" has been entered. A prisoner, bail bond company, or an attorney can post a bond for this type of warrant. The bond assures that the prisoner will appear in court.
- Credit Card
- Released "Time served" after acquiring enough jail credit
- A combination of jail credit and cash or credit card payment
- A payment plan set up and approved through the Grand Prairie Municipal Court
- You may make an online payment for fines or bonds for persons in custody on Grand Prairie class C misdemeanor warrants at http://www.govpaynet.com Call 972-237-8947 for warrant payment details.
Payment can be accepted by either the issuing agency or the City of Grand Prairie.
- Pay the bond at the Bond Desk of the county where the charge will be filed
- Contact an attorney
- Contact a bail bond company
No, but most bail bond companies and attorneys can be located in the phone book, on the Internet, or by using directory assistance.
Prisoners are released in the Detention Center of the Public Safety Center at 1525 Arkansas LN., Grand Prairie, TX 75052.
Vehicles towed by the Grand Prairie Police Department are taken to the City of Grand Prairie Auto Pound located at:
3010 Hard Rock Rd
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
The towing company used is:
Dave’s Highway Wrecker Service
Inquiries concerning fees, method of payment, and directions to the storage facility should be directed to the auto pound. Be prepared to provide information such as the vehicle's year, make, model, and license plate number.